Skip to main content

Istanbul- We Stayed Opposite an Illegal Sex House

In the August of 2014, when my sisters and I decided to embark upon our first travelling adventure, Istanbul was a city that quickly came to mind. It is the home of the Blue Mosque , good food and twirling dervishes. We booked our flights via easy jet and I remember them being fairly cheap, no more than £200, and we then went on to look for a good hotel. After reading reviews and comparing prices, we decided to go ahead and book Cenevre Hotel which was just a 15 minute walk from Taksim Square.

On the day of our trip, we flew from Luton airport and the flight was very pleasant. Upon arriving in Istanbul, we noticed a lot of hustle and bustle and found it difficult finding a taxi that would take us to our hotel. Why did we find it difficult finding a taxi to take us to our hotel I hear you ask? Not because it was busy, no, there were plenty of taxis about- it just so happened that none of them knew where our hotel was :) :). FIRST RED FLAG. After about 20 minutes of trying to explain directions to various taxi drivers, we finally found one that would take us to our hotel- his name was Teksin. He was lovely and easy to talk to, however, he kept saying to us "Taksim no good area for four madame". Now, when this is the first thing someone says to you in a different country, you cannot help but feel slightly paranoid, HOWEVER, we kept it positive and kept thinking "how bad it can be, we looked at reviews". After an hour of driving and Teksin telling us to book another hotel, we finally pulled up in an alleyway. It was 9pm and the sun had set, and as I got out of the car I felt my heart SINK. NOW, I understood what Teksin meant! On our right were a row of prostitutes sitting on the pavement and amongst them were intoxicated men who would STARE at you like meat as you walked past. The smell of cigarette smoke smothered the air and all you could hear was blaring music. It was then I looked up and realised there was a house party going on in the flat opposite to our hotel. The actual inside of the hotel was not bad at all. The staff were friendly and could clearly tell how uncomfortable we felt. Being young and on our first trip alone abroad, you cannot blame us for feeling out of our comfort zone! Our room was spacious and clean (barr the ants EVERYWHERE which didn't seem to bother my sisters but absolutely bothered me) and yes, I cried on the first night as I felt unsafe and don't my sisters love to mock me for it! It seemed that house party I was talking about had no end as the music was BOOMING all night and we woke up feeling groggy and tired.

We asked the guy at the reception for directions into the Sultan Ahmet area and he explained there was a metro that could take us there and it was only a 10min walk from the hotel. Walking out of the hotel, the area wasn't so bad. It was quiet and because we left so early, not many people were up and about. We ended up taking a taxi into Sultan Ahmet and the first thing I noticed were the SLEEPING DOGS. My sisters and I absolutely hate and are so scared of dogs, so this was our worst nightmare. That being said, the dogs literally just sleep and are pretty harmless; seeing as they would remain for the duration of our trip, we decided to suck it up. The cats, however, we could not get over so quickly. I fear cats like I fear being murdered, and if I saw one I would quickly walk in the other direction- I hate cats!! Sultan Ahmet is a lovely area, it is clean, full of tourists and I finally felt safe and genuinely excited for the trip ahead. It's quite easy to navigate your way around the area and we find the Blue Mosque with ease. The queue for the Mosque was much shorter than I had expected, but, it was worth every minute of our short wait. The interior is breathtaking and it is huge! We managed to pray there and  met a lovely lady from the States who asked us about Islam, we wondered around the open area of the Blue Mosque, taking in the architecture and then ate at a nearby cafe. Sitting on the benches outside the Blue Mosque, we met Huseyin and he sold us a Bosphorus Boat tour for the following day, he also became a good friend as we would see him pretty much everyday of our trip! The tour was inexpensive and lasted 2 hours. Whilst it was nice catching the breeze and being on the water, after about 30mins most of us fell asleep! We decided to leave for our hotel before dark just to keep safe and rested for the day ahead.

Over the course of the next few days, we managed to visit the Hagia Sophia which is now a museum but was formerly a mosque and a cathedral. I would definitely recommend visiting here, it is beautiful and very insightful! We also saw the twirling dervishes at a nearby cafe and I would watch this again in a heartbeat. It was a very moving experience and quite simply, enchanting. We used the metro which was cheap and very easy to understand and it was on the train that we met two ladies whom we are still very good friends with! We wondered Taksim Square (be careful with your belongings here as there are lots of pick pockets) and done a good bit of shopping and overall, the trip turned out to be a good experience. Whilst I wasn't fond of the food or keen on our hotel, we saw beautiful places and met even more beautiful people. And before I forget, there's a documentary on BBC One on sex workers and guess where Stacey Dooley decides to visit??? Right outside our hotel, yep we stayed outside an illegal sex house which explains ALOT :))




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Benefits of Not Listening to Music

So, this post may seem a little strange as it's just music right? It is all around us and we can never quite get away from it. We've grown up with it and never been without it, it's practically a part of life. If you've never made the conscious effort/decision to stop listening to music, then this will be completely new to you, however, I hope it will be of benefit. Just to give you a little background, you could say I was brought up with music. When I was younger and the parents weren't home, we used to blast Pop Party (if you know you know), my idea of fun was singing along to karaokes on Youtube and I knew the lyrics of EVERY SINGLE SONG OUT THERE. I couldn't walk anywhere unless I had my earphones and music at the gym was a no brainer. I was always aware that music was haram (forbidden) and I never understood why up until recently because "it's only music" right?! Music was a massive part of my life and I found so much joy in listening to it, h

Wellness, Mindfulness & Madness with @BouAzizLifestyle

When you think of fitness, you automatically think of the gym, weights and a sculpted physique. Up until recently, I hadn't seen much focus on the importance of mindfulness and wellness- all of which contributes to creating a healthy mindset. After being tested with hardship, I found peace in meditation. This wasn't easy at first as it was frustrating due to my mind thinking erratically, however, it has helped me be able to watch my emotions and control my reactions. It is definitely a journey and there is so much to learn and practice. Below are a list of questions and answers I asked brother Mohamed Bouaziz- an advocate of mindfulness, movement, and all things positive. Upon coming across his instagram profile @bouazizlifestyle, I was intrigued and Alhamdulillah he was able to provide me with an insight into his world. Definitely check out his profile, it is unique and a breath of fresh air! "Bismillah. I just want to say thank you for giving me the oppo

Home Glute Workout

Before I started going to the gym, I was a massive lover of home workouts and yes, I did see results. The gym is not always necessary, as long as you are engaging your muscles and feeling the burn, you will see progress. Whilst you may not be seeing major gains, you can most definitely tone up and shape your body. Below is a glute workout that you can do in the comfort of your bedroom, remember to SQUEEZE- if you're glutes aren't on fire then you're not working hard enough. -60x donkey kicks each leg (squeeze at the top, you can place a dumbbell in your knee to make it harder but keep your balance. 20 reps, 3 sets) -45x glute bridges (15 reps, 3 sets) -45x fire hyrdrants (hold at the top to squeeze, engage gluteus medus. 15 reps, 3 sets) -45x raised glute bridges (15 reps, 3 sets. Lean your torso against something) -45x squat jumps (15 reps, 3 sets. Squeeze glutes when jumping) REPEAT EXERCISES, DECREASE REST TIME.