Skip to main content

A Levels, Results Day, Uni- Is it worth it?

If you are in 6th form or college, you will no doubt have heard your teachers bang on about how university is the key to success and how your life is pretty much set if you get a degree. I remember when I was in year 13, I felt bombarded with information on courses, loans etc and I honestly believed that a degree was the only way I could get where I wanted to be. I WAS SO WRONG.

6th Form was probably the most confusing time of my life yet and most of it was down to the fact that I was scared to take a different route simply because everyone else was taking the same route. I ended up applying to study Law with Criminal Justice at Brunel University as a result of not getting into any legal apprenticeship schemes. I cannot stress how beneficial apprenticeships are, if you can get into your career via an apprenticeship- do it! You learn practical skills so you have a head start against those at uni, you get paid and you are debt free. They are becoming very common, however, they are competitive so make sure your application is on point. Anyway, back to the point, I went to uni, I attended all my lectures, seminars and made rigorous notes. After a while, I couldn't help but feel like I was back at school. I was simply memorising information to regurgitate in the exam and it was starting to wear on me. I have always been very practical and don't really like to waste time, thus, the fact that I would be spending 4 years (including a placement year) here amongst 250 other students made me question why would I land the training contract when I have the same degree that millions of other students have. That is partially the problem- a degree is no longer anything special or sought after. In 2015, it was reported that 48% of those in the UK have a higher education and this number is only set to increase. A degree is no longer just for those who are incredibly smart or filthy rich- absolutely anyone has access to university. After 3 months, I decided to drop out of university and scrap law altogether. At the time, I was scared and uncertain as all my friends were at university, however, it is now the best decision I have ever made. To shed a more positive light, university IS a nice experience. I would not say it is life changing (perhaps because I didn't live out), but, I would say it was lovely to meet new people from different walks of life. Living in a small town, everyone is so similar, thus, it was nice to get to know new people. This being said, university is such a big place and nothing like the social life at school, it was hard to maintain friendships as I would be meeting new people EVERYDAY.

If you are thinking about going to university, be wise and think practically, actually consider the long term. Going to meet new people and for the “experience” is not a strong enough justification for the £27,000 debt that university entails. You will have all these experiences at any point in your life, you do not need to pay an absurd amount to do so. Do not confine yourself to what everyone else is doing. Choosing a different route does not make you any less smart or less motivated or less anything; it is called being practical and thinking ahead. Of course, for some career paths such as that of a doctor, you absolutely need to go to university. However, for many, university is no longer a necessity- you can even become a solicitor without going to university, the world is progressing! If you don’t want to go to university, don’t want to do an apprenticeship and don’t want to study- just get a full time job! You are in control of your own future and these are the years for confusion and mistakes. To put it into perspective for you, I went to university for 3 months, I am 18, I have incurred a debt of £4k- it is real and you don’t feel it until you start paying it back! In a sense, university is the easy way out. Instead of stepping out into the real world, using practical skills and working for your money, you are back at school memorising and being spoon fed information. Personally, I would encourage young people to simply DO WHAT THEY WANT TO DO. It is easily said but not so easily practiced. Research your various options, we are so lucky to have so many options. Take your time and take a gap year if you need, you are young and there is no rush to hasten into a career.


My views are simply from my own experiences. Of course, university is important to so many people and necessary for many career paths, I just want to stress that it is not the only way. If you guys have any questions or want any advice on uni or apprenticeships or anything like that, I am more than happy to help- just drop me a message x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Benefits of Not Listening to Music

So, this post may seem a little strange as it's just music right? It is all around us and we can never quite get away from it. We've grown up with it and never been without it, it's practically a part of life. If you've never made the conscious effort/decision to stop listening to music, then this will be completely new to you, however, I hope it will be of benefit. Just to give you a little background, you could say I was brought up with music. When I was younger and the parents weren't home, we used to blast Pop Party (if you know you know), my idea of fun was singing along to karaokes on Youtube and I knew the lyrics of EVERY SINGLE SONG OUT THERE. I couldn't walk anywhere unless I had my earphones and music at the gym was a no brainer. I was always aware that music was haram (forbidden) and I never understood why up until recently because "it's only music" right?! Music was a massive part of my life and I found so much joy in listening to it, h

Wellness, Mindfulness & Madness with @BouAzizLifestyle

When you think of fitness, you automatically think of the gym, weights and a sculpted physique. Up until recently, I hadn't seen much focus on the importance of mindfulness and wellness- all of which contributes to creating a healthy mindset. After being tested with hardship, I found peace in meditation. This wasn't easy at first as it was frustrating due to my mind thinking erratically, however, it has helped me be able to watch my emotions and control my reactions. It is definitely a journey and there is so much to learn and practice. Below are a list of questions and answers I asked brother Mohamed Bouaziz- an advocate of mindfulness, movement, and all things positive. Upon coming across his instagram profile @bouazizlifestyle, I was intrigued and Alhamdulillah he was able to provide me with an insight into his world. Definitely check out his profile, it is unique and a breath of fresh air! "Bismillah. I just want to say thank you for giving me the oppo

Home Glute Workout

Before I started going to the gym, I was a massive lover of home workouts and yes, I did see results. The gym is not always necessary, as long as you are engaging your muscles and feeling the burn, you will see progress. Whilst you may not be seeing major gains, you can most definitely tone up and shape your body. Below is a glute workout that you can do in the comfort of your bedroom, remember to SQUEEZE- if you're glutes aren't on fire then you're not working hard enough. -60x donkey kicks each leg (squeeze at the top, you can place a dumbbell in your knee to make it harder but keep your balance. 20 reps, 3 sets) -45x glute bridges (15 reps, 3 sets) -45x fire hyrdrants (hold at the top to squeeze, engage gluteus medus. 15 reps, 3 sets) -45x raised glute bridges (15 reps, 3 sets. Lean your torso against something) -45x squat jumps (15 reps, 3 sets. Squeeze glutes when jumping) REPEAT EXERCISES, DECREASE REST TIME.